The UK seafood industry has a lot to be proud of and can rightly claim to be leading the world in developing innovative solutions to the challenges of sourcing and supplying seafood.
Our work to enhance this reputation is twofold: to support our industry partners to make informed and responsible decisions; and to work with the media to help ensure the industry is better understood. In both strands of work, industry partnership is key.
Our technical teams are supporting that aim through a number of key work programmes:
- Our Responsible Fishing Scheme (RFS) will be revised to include standards on social elements of fishing, including welfare and safety, allowing certified vessels to demonstrate their compliance with best practice and the seafood supply chain to demonstrate its commitment to the same.
- Our fishermen’s safety and training programmes will continue to reduce the risks associated with what is one of our most dangerous professions.
Our communications programme helps to ensure this good work is better understood by media and consumers:
- We will develop a range of innovative tools, helping to communicate the industry through film, infographics, reports, case studies and other web-based resources.
- Our proactive PR campaigns will focus on ‘world-class’ delivery within the seafood industry.
- We will actively monitor media coverage on the seafood industry and respond where necessary to protect our industry’s interests.
- Our Advocacy programme will support our communications work, fostering a network of champions to promote the industry.